Federal Member for Monash, Russell Broadbent, has sought information from the Parliamentary Library as to the expenditure of COVID-19 Payments that have been distributed across the electorate.
Residents of Monash received over $300 million in payments such as the Coronavirus Supplement, Economic Support Payments, COVID-19 Disaster Payments, and the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment.
The breakdown of financial support is as follows:
- JobKeeper Payment: In August 2020, the number of organisations claiming JobKeeper in Monash was around 5,400.
- Coronavirus Supplement: The Coronavirus Supplement was paid to recipients of JobSeeker Payment, Parenting Payment, Youth Allowance, Austudy, ABSTUDY Living Allowance, Partner Allowance, Widow Allowance, Special Benefit and Farm Household Allowance. In Monash, the total expenditure on the Coronavirus Supplement was $128,095,711 between 25 April 2020 and 9 April 2021.
- Economic Support Payments: The Government provided four lump sum payments for eligible payment recipients and concession card holders as part of its COVID-19 response – two $750 payments and two $250 payments. In Monash, the total expenditure on Economic Support Payments was $96,416,500 as at 2 April 2021.
- COVID-19 Disaster Payment: The COVID-19 Disaster Payment was announced in June 2021 and provided support to those whose income was affected by state and territory government restrictions on movement or ‘lockdowns’ following COVID-19 outbreaks. Around 22,670 people received a COVID-19 Disaster Payment in Monash, with $29,760,000 provided in payments as at 2 January 2022.
- Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment: There were84,589 recipients of the Pandemic Leave Disaster Payment, with $139,685,000 paid in total to residents of the Monash electorate as at 2 December 2021.
These payments have helped save countless families and businesses from suffering severe economic loss during the COVID-19 Pandemic.
For more information about COVID-19 related payments, please the following websites Australian Government COVID-19 disaster payments: a quick guide – Parliament of Australia (aph.gov.au).